October was designated as Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness month in October of 1988 by President Ronald Reagan. It’s an important time for us all to remember the babies, reflect on what has been accomplished and recommit to our vision that one day – pregnancy & infant loss will truly be a rare event. Star Legacy Foundation holds an annual event to kick off the month filled with awareness activities.
We are fast approaching our annual Let’s Not Be Still! Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Walk/Run – Saturday, September 26, 2015.
It is already shaping up to be bigger than ever! You won’t want to miss out!
Why is this important?
We do this annual event each year for a number of reasons.
- Most importantly it is a time to bring our loss community together in ways that are not otherwise possible. There is comfort in being together in a community of other loss families, friends, advocates and supporters where everyone ‘gets it’ and there is no need to explain.
- It is an opportunity to spread awareness about the thousands of babies that are miscarried, stillborn, or only live a short time after birth. Through our extensive marketing efforts, we can keep these issues in the public.
- And we raise funds that help us continue our programs and projects dedicated to awareness, research, education, prevention & family support!
What’s happening at this event?
- It is a time to remember our babies memories but yet celebrate what their memory adds to our lives. Again this year, babies names will be added to the shirts as a permanent reminder of why we do what we do!
- We’re adding a new event specifically to remember the babies! The Eden Prairie Parks & Recreation Department has graciously allowed us to plant a memorial tree on the grounds at Staring Lake Park. We will be dedicating this beautiful white oak tree and placing a memorial stone at the base. All families are invited to come and paint a rock in their baby’s memory to place at the base of the tree for the memorial ceremony. Then – take your stone home with you at the end of the day!
- Abby Libsack Photography will be taking team photos prior to the start of the activities! Be sure to gather your team early and get your photo taken!!
- We’ll have fun! This event is designed for the serious runner, the not-so-serious runner, the walkers, kids and toddlers! There is something for everyone.
- Back by popular demand, we will have face painting stations available for the kids!
- New this year – a raffle! You can purchase tickets and drop them into the jars for the items you wish to try for! We have lots of donated items and the list continues to grow. Be sure to check the list often!
- The organizer of the top fund-raising team will receive 4 – one day Disney Park Hopper Passes – a $600 value! It’s not too late to create a team or support a team!! This year registration fees are applied to team totals!
- Susan-Elizabeth Littlefield of WCCO will be our Mistress of Ceremonies!
- The producers of Don’t Talk About The Baby will be joining us. For their upcoming documentary on pregnancy loss, they are asking to video families willing to share their stories. Schedule an interview with the producers here. (Run/Walk participants will have priority for interview times.) Interviews held in Eden Prairie, MN.
- The 11 Angels Project of the Star Legacy Foundation will be with us to share about their care companion program. This group is looking for new volunteers. Stop by to learn how you might be able to help other families.
- And certainly not least of all – several of the legislators that helped us pass legislation in Minnesota this past year will be joining us! Please be sure to take a moment to thank them and tell them how much their efforts mean to you!
What do you do with the funds raised?
Funds raised at this event go to the programs and projects of the Star Legacy Foundation. We have lots going on and your participation will help us in so many ways! Unlike so many other nonprofit organizations, we have very little overhead and every dime raised goes to supporting our programs and projects! This is VERY important to us and we are very proud of that fact! Ongoing projects include:
- Family support efforts through our 11 Angels care companion team
- Awareness activities – both local and nationwide though our media efforts and Champion events
- Expanded awareness through our presence and presentation at national and international meetings
- Patient education materials designed to help expectant couples monitor their baby before birth such as our See Me, Feel me program – which is now also available in Spanish!
- Educational events like the Stillbirth Summit
- Nationwide support line staffed by professional grief counselors
- Support groups for grieving families – specifically for bereaved parents; couples experiencing pregnancy after loss; and grandparents/extended family & friends
- Health care professional education & recognition projects
- Support for ongoing research and publication of study results
- Continuing efforts for analysis and sharing of results from our STARS Study.
- Development of new research studies
- Legislative efforts for a number of issues related to our objectives.
There are also a number of exciting new projects in development that you’ll be hearing about in the months to come – all made possible by the generosity of those who are passionate about saving babies.
What if I am unable to attend this year?
- Even if you can’t be there in person – you can participate virtually and we will mail you one of the event shirts!
- If getting a shirt isn’t important to you – your donations are gratefully appreciated.
- Check out our calendar to see if we are holding an event near you! Plan to join in!
- We work with families all over the country in planning their own events to support our programs and projects. If you would like to host such an event – let us know!
- Mark Feb 13, 2016 on your calendar and plan to attend a very special new event to honor our babies and recognize the perinatal loss heros and efforts that are truly making a difference. More details to be announced soon!