Welcome to the New York Metro Chapter of the Star Legacy Foundation!
Established in 2015, we are a motivated group of parents,
grandparents, and friends of stillborn babies. Our mission is to educate the
medical community and the public about stillbirth, raise funds for research,
and provide support to families who are missing their baby.
We believe that through greater awareness and empowered pregnancy, many of these tragedies can be prevented, and we strive to ultimately lower the number of stillbirths in the New York Metropolitan area and beyond.
Our service area includes portions of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. If you are located in the NY Metro area and would like to learn more about our chapter, please contact us!
Contact the NY-Metro Chapter
Chapter Leadership Team
- Samantha Banerjee, Chair
- Christine Chang, Medical Chair
- Amanda Donohue, Events Co-Chair
- Kristin Ferriggi, Events Co-Chair
- Jeanine Sabatino, Outreach Chair
- Elaina Vietz, Legislative Chair
- Committee Leaders:
- Peer Companion Coordinator: Kathy Gardener
- Medical Geographic Liaisons: Laura Forer (Manhattan/Bronx), Domenique Rice (Brooklyn), Kaitlin Iannelli (Long Island)
- State Legislative Liaisons: Maggie Goodwin (NY), Maureen Schwartz (NJ)
- Events Leads: Kristin Ferriggi & Amanda & Mark Donohue (LNBS Long Island), Adam & Arianna Siepiola (LNBS Westchester), Mark Terjessen & Carolyn Waldecker (Swing for the Stars Golf Outing), Jeanine Sabatino (Social Events)
NY-Metro Chapter Upcoming Events
- Let’s Not Be Still! New York Festival, 5K & Walk – 2 dates/2 locations
- Long Island: Saturday, May 2, 2020 – Port Washington, NY – CANCELED due to COVID-19 crisis
- Rye: Saturday, October 17, 2020 – Rye, NY – new location/date for 2020! – Registration link coming soon.
- Swing for the Stars Golf Outing – September 28, 2020 – Town of Oyster Bay Golf Course
If you or someone you know is grieving the loss of a child, you can call 952-715-7731 x 1. Certified Grief Counselors available.
Peer Support is also available! Peer Companions are individuals who have first-hand experience with pregnancy loss and neonatal death and have been trained to help others along their grief journey. Contact us at 952-715-7731 x 710 or email@example.com if you or a loved one would like to be contacted by a trained peer companion. More information here.
Star Legacy Foundation provides live, online support groups. Groups are held via HIPAA-compliant videoconferencing and facilitated by trained health professionals. Registration is required only for the first time you attend. After that you will receive a reminder before each session that will include login information specific to each session. For more information or to register click here.
Did you know? Unlike other babies who sadly die in their first year of life, stillborn babies do NOT qualify for dependent tax benefits under current state law in NY, NJ, or CT.
Families of stillborn babies face all the same expenses during pregnancy and birth as other families, plus several thousand dollars of unanticipated costs such as autopsy and genetic testing, funeral and burial/cremation, grief counseling, and time away from work. We believe that families of stillborn babies should be entitled to recognition and tax benefits like any other family who welcomes a new baby. The Stillbirth Tax Credit bill would fix this disparity and give stillborn babies the acknowledgement they deserve.
It only takes two minutes to support the Stillbirth Tax Credit bill in your state! More info and instructions (including email/call script) can be found here:
- For NY residents
- For NJ residents
- For CT residents: coming soon! Please contact us if you’d like to help!
Click here to subscribe to the NY Metro Chapter Newsletter!
- January 2020 – 2019 Highlights, 2020 Save-the-Dates, Pregnancy Research Project
- January 2019 – 2018 Highlights, 2019 Plans & Event Save-the-Dates, NJ Legislative Action
- October 2018 – #NeverBeStill for Awareness Month, Featured Writing, Diana’s Hope 5K
- July 2018 – Record-Breaking 5K, Volunteers Needed: Baby Gifts & Tax Credit, Fall Social
- March 2018 – 2017 Highlights, 2018 Plans, #SleepOnSide, Spring 5Ks & Save-the-Dates
- October 2017 – #NeverBeStill for Awareness Month, Medical Provider Education, Social Event
- July 2017 – Stillbirth Summit 2017 Takeaways, Important Info for Expectant Parents
- February 2017 – New Look, Peer Companions Launch, Partner Outreach Underway
- October 2016 – Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month, #MarksMiles4Babies
- January 2016 – Meet Executive Director Lindsey Wimmer, Launch Plan Updates
- December-2015 – Introducing Star Legacy NY Metro Chapter
In The News
- Chapter Chair Samantha Banerjee was a recent guest on the White Plains Hospital podcast! Click here to listen.
Obtaining a Stillbirth Certificate:
- NY Fetal Death Certificate & Certificate of Still Birth
- NJ Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth
- CT Certificate of Stillbirth