- Welcome to Star Legacy Foundation – Minnesota Chapter!
Minnesota is the “home base” for Star Legacy Foundation. Most of our programs are piloted and launched here first. We welcome you to join our efforts!
Let’s Not Be Still – 8th Annual Run/Walk for Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness – Saturday, September 26, 2020 Staring Lake Park, Eden Prairie, MN.
This is a statewide program that provides a framework for early referral and intervention when a baby dies in Minnesota. Eligible families are those who live in Minnesota and experience the death of a baby through stillbirth, neonatal death, SUID/SIDS, or any other infant death. The Center is Minnesota’s resource for information on strategies to reduce the risk for stillbirth and infant death. We provide comprehensive answers to frequently asked questions, as well as grief resources, funeral assistance and support for bereaved families. Click here to learn more.
- Peer Companion Program
- Trained individuals who have first-hand experience with pregnancy losses and infant deaths are available to answer questions,families to resources, assist with memory making, and be a support person in the weeks and months that follow.
- Peer support, including in-hospital support, is available. To request peer support, call 952-715-7731, ext 2
- If you are interested in becoming a peer companion, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support Groups
- Click here for details about current support groups.
- Star Legacy Foundation provides live, interactive, online support groups for families who have experienced a perinatal loss and for individuals experiencing a pregnancy after a loss. Groups are held via HIPAA-compliant videoconferencing and facilitated by trained mental health professionals. You do not need a video camera on your computer to attend but it is very helpful if you do. Registration required for first session only – after that participants will receive a reminder email prior to each session.
- Our Support Group Facilitators include: Debbie Fischer, MS, LAMFT, Joanne O’Leary, PhD, Doug Stewart and Kathleen Massmann, LPCC
- Care Packages
- We provide a variety of support items in care packages to families experiencing a pregnancy loss or infant death. The care packages are provided through our peer companion program or through specific hospitals. To inquire about obtaining care items for your hospital, contact us at email@example.com
- Fiscal Sponsor for “Blessed with More”. This service by Janelle Wourms in Duluth, MN provides care packages for families at St. Mary’s and St. Luke’s Hospitals.
Minnesota passes Dependent Tax Credit for Families of Stillborn Babies
- In 2016, Star Legacy Foundation led efforts to make Minnesota the 5th state in the US to offer a Dependent Tax Credit to families who have experienced a stillbirth. Effective January 1, 2016, this legislation will provide financial support to families at a difficult time.
. Click here for the MN application for Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth.
- Minnesota Maternal Child Health Task Force
- In 2015, Minnesota legislators encouraged the Maternal Child Health Task Force to include stillbirth. Star Legacy Foundation has teamed with several individuals across the state to form the Stillbirth Working Group that is now preparing a proposal for the Task Force with recommendations on how to better support families after a loss and how to reduce stillbirth rates in the state.
- Pregnancy Research Project – In June of 2019 the Star Legacy Foundation launched the largest research project of its’ type dedicated to pregnancy & infant loss. To learn more or participate in this important study click here.
- Let’s Not Be Still! Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Run/Walk – each year on the last Saturday of September.
- Present information about pregnancy loss and neonatal death to community organizations throughout the state. Contact us for more information.
- Stillbirth Summit
- While a national project, the Stillbirth Summit will be held in our backyard! We hope you’ll plan to join us to learn from leading researchers focused on stillbirth prevention. Information about volunteer opportunities will be available soon.
- Health Professional Education
- Star Legacy Foundation has hosted health professional retreats for several Minnesota hospitals including Ridgeview Medical Center, Maple Grove Hospital, United Hospital, and Essentia Health. We are blessed to partner with Faith’s Lodge for local retreats in a beautiful and healing setting!
- Half day and full day presentations offered throughout the state to discuss bereavement care, resources for families, emerging evidence and self-care.
- If you would like a retreat or education day for your facility and staff, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Minnesota Resources Other Families Have Found Helpful:
- Brighter Days Grief Center
- McBride Funeral Home
- Faith’s Lodge
- Tending the Spirit – End of Life Care (fee based)
Post-traumatic stress disorder following stillbirth: Rick factors, identification and early intervention – Dr. Deb Rich
What can the Stillbirth Autopsy Tell Us? – Dr. Debra Heller — (Dr. Heller prefers not to share her slides due to the graphic nature of content and prenatal consent issues)
Moments of Reflection – Jennifer Kouri, RN (No Slides)
Marginalization of a Woman’s Grief Following a Stillbirth – Stephanie Inks (Ms. Inks is planning to publish her information so will not release her slides at this time)
Panel Discussion: What Do We Know? Where Do We Go? (No Slides)