Welcome to the Los Angeles Chapter of the Star Legacy Foundation!
Our chapter, established in the Summer of 2017, was founded to serve families in the Los Angeles area, including the valley communities. We’re a group of parents, family members, and supporters of families that have suffered the loss of a stillborn child or children.
Our mission is to educate the medical community and public about stillbirth, raise funds for research, and ultimately prevent the loss of children to stillbirth. We believe that stillbirth is a tragic loss that in many cases can be prevented.
If you are in our area and want to connect with other parents who have experienced the loss of a stillborn child, or want to work to prevent pregnancy loss and neonatal death, please contact us. We also welcome questions from expectant parents who want to learn what they can do to ensure a healthy pregnancy.
- Ariel Weeks – Chair, mom of Sydney, stillborn August 15th , 2016 at 41 weeks
- Peng Li – Mentor Chair, mom of Bruce, stillborn August 30th at 24 weeks
- Khryste Griswold – Events Chair, mom of William, stillborn January 27th , 2016 at 21 weeks
- Jessica Ramirez – Secretary, mom of Penelope, stillborn January 17th , 2017 at 38 weeks
If you or someone you know is grieving the loss of a child, you can call 952-715-7731 x 1. Certified Grief Counselors are available 24/7 to take your call.
Star Legacy Foundation provides live, online support groups for families who have experienced a perinatal loss and for individuals experiencing a pregnancy after a loss. Groups are held via HIPAA-compliant videoconferencing and facilitated by trained health professionals. Registration is required only for the first time you attend. After that you will receive a reminder before each session that will include login information specific to each session. More information here.
- Bereaved Parents of Perinatal Loss – 1st & 3rd Mondays of each month at 4:30 pm pacific. Group facilitator is Debbie Fischer, LAMFT
- Pregnancy After a Loss – Every Monday at 5:30 pm pacific. Group facilitator is Joann O’Leary, PhD
- Parenting After a Loss – Every Wednesday at 8:00 am pacific. Group facilitator is Joann O’Leary, PhD
- Grandparents & Extended Family – 1st Wednesday of each month 4:30 pm pacific. Group facilitator is Joann O’Leary, PhD
Stillbirth Facts – Why We Do What We Do
Statistics: Stillbirth Facts in the US
1. Stillbirth is the most understudied issue in medicine today.
2. The stillbirth rate in the US has not changed in the last 50 years.
3. More than 26,000 babies are stillborn each year – 71 per day.
4. One in 160 pregnancies ends in stillbirth.
5. 50% of stillbirths occur at full term and often seem to be otherwise healthy babies.
6. 85% of stillbirths occur before delivery.
7. More babies are stillborn annually than die from prematurity and SIDS combined.
8. 77% of parents never worried their baby would die after the first trimester.
9. The US ranks 48th out of 49 developed nations in the world for annual rate of reduction of stillbirths.
LA Chapter Upcoming Events
Many parents and grandparents of stillborn children want to do something to prevent other families from experiencing this type of loss. Others want to honor the memories of their children by volunteering. For these reasons and more, we encourage you to get involved in our chapter.
Members of the Los Angeles Chapter meet monthly. Our current projects include:
- Recruiting participants for the Star Legacy Pregnancy Research Registry
- Raising money for research projects.
- Co-sponsoring a Holiday Candlelighting with the LA MISS Foudation.
- Advocating for stillbirth support legislation including hospital protocol and a stillbirth tax credit.
- Counseling women on healthy pregnancies and educating nursing staff on grief protocols for supporting grieving families.
Let’s Not Be Still 5K Los Angeles – 10/21/18 at Woodley Park, 6350 Woodley Avenue, Van Nuys CA 91436. Registration coming soon!
Want to know more? Have some great ideas for us? Contact us at email@example.com.